Did you know that more than half of the adult population in the US plays video games? Computer games make up a larger percentage for older adults, while younger adults prefer gaming consoles. To be precise, over 80% of adults aged between 18 and 29 play games, while only 23% of senior adults play. Of course, these numbers are incomparable to the high number of teenagers (97%) who play video games. Read on to find out what video games teach us.
Table of Contents
What Video Games Are Popular in 2020?
Avid gamers are always up to date with current trends. Most gamers know precisely when their preferred games will be released even a year in advance. As mentioned, video games are no longer just for children. With that in mind, some of the games on this list might require some parental supervision before purchase.
- Mortal Kombat 11: Published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Mortal Kombat is a fighting game released in 2019 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Xbox One. This game is ideal for persons above the age of 17.
- Call of Duty – Modern Warfare: This is a first-person shooter video game released in 2019 by Activision for Microsoft Windows, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. The storyline revolves around a CIA officer and British forces working together to save a fictional nation (Urzikstan) from invasion. This game is ideal for persons above the age of 17.
- NBA 2K20: Developed by Visual Concepts, NBA 2K20 is a simulation video game based on the NBA (National Basketball Association). It was released in 2019 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Stadia, and Nintendo Switch. This game is suitable for everyone.
- Star Wars Jedi – Fallen Order: This game combined action and adventure and was published in 2019 by Electronic Arts for Microsoft Windows, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. It revolves around the Star Wars world and features Jedi Padawan as he endeavors to complete his training and restore the Jedi Order. This game is suitable for teenagers.
What Can video games teach us?
Studies have shown that adults who indulge in video games are happier and more relaxed than those who don’t. This finding then nullifies the traditional belief that gaming is addictive rather than productive. Below are some of the cognitive benefits of playing video games to support the research further.
- Enhances player’s memory
Anyone who’s played video games before knows that they require visual and audial memory. The player listens or reads the instructions to understand the game’s rules and aim. The player’s long and short-term memory consequently improves after engaging with the keyboard and remembering the rules.
- Provides an excellent avenue for learning
Modern education institutions are nowadays incorporating video games in their syllabus to help improve children’s academic capabilities. They choose specific games that focus on improving their creative and cognitive skills.
- Improves brain’s processing speed
Gamers understand that to play a game successfully, their brains have to process the visual and audial stimulations adequately. Those who play video games frequently process these stimulators faster, thus, improving their overall brain processing speed.
- Enhances player’s multitasking skills
Gamers who prefer action-packed games understand that multitasking is very crucial. These games require players to pay attention to oncoming adversaries, character’s energy levels, ammunitions left, etc., while still fighting their way up the ladder. Such skills are beneficial in day to day activities.
- Improves player’s problem-solving skills
Like everything else in life, video games have rules and regulations to guide the players. This means that every player has to consider whether their course of action adheres to said rules. The player should make these decisions in split seconds; otherwise, they can lose the game. Players who excel in such demanding games can objectively analyze and solve most of their daily challenges.
Let the Games Begin!
Video games teach us are no longer a sport for children alone. Today, adults are purchasing advanced devices to stay abreast of the current gaming trends. Don’t be left behind. Check out goodluckmate.com and indulge in a few video games. You’ll reap the benefits in no time!