How to do a hanging indent is also known as a negative indent as it will present in the first line of every document. The most commonplace these types of indentation gets used are the bibliographies of the text and on the reference pages of the website. These types of indents are mainly used in the specific type of formats like MLA, CMS, and APA.
This is one of the best software for these students who are preparing their projects and assignments with the help of Microsoft word or something other software. In these types of projects, it is very important to understand the structure and formation in which you have to frame them. The main focus of most of the projects is to create a collection that is a perfect blend of information and proper research. With the help of hanging blends, you can do so.
How to Do a Hanging Indent in Microsoft Word
If you are a Microsoft user then there are some steps from which you can add them in your file:
- You need to highlight the paragraph in which you want the hanging indent format.
- Then you need to right-click on the highlighted paragraph and then select it.
- After that, you can go for the indentation section where you can find a special box and then you have to select Hanging.
How to create citations in Microsoft Word
After understanding some of the steps that are required to add indentation. Now the second thing that you need to know is how you can create citations after selecting them in hanging indent format:
- After you select the hanging indent option you need to go for the manage sources option.
- In that option, you need to write the citation which you want to add in your document.
- After entering all the details, you need to click on the add option.
- Now the citation will be added in the word and now it is the turn to add them in your document.
- For which you need to click on the Add Citation option in which you will find all the citations added by you.
- You can select the citation that you need to select for your document and can add it.
How to do a hanging indent in Mobile Phones
The option of hanging indents is not available for mobile phones. But if you rotate the mobile screen then there might be a chance that it will look the same as the desktop view. For mobile, there are some different ways from which you can add it with the help of your mobile phone.
- Firstly you need to type the text that you want to quote. Then press enters for the first and last word of the sentence.
- Then select the text that you need to highlight for the indentation.
- Then turn your mobile phone into landscape mode to get some more features.
- Then select the indent option and you are done with it. Then all you need to do is to save the document and can make some other changes if you want.
How to do a hanging indent in styling
Now after understanding how to apply it and citations the next thing that needs to determine is the style in which you want to imply it in your document. Styling is one of the most important things for a document as it will glorify the document and make it suitable for use and also increase the readability score. However, it is very common to add different font sizes and font styles like Calibri, times roman, and many others.
Along with the size and font style, some of the other things that we will change in our document is the background color and spacing between the lines. As likes this modification you can also make changes in the styling of hanging indents in which you can also add the styles, colors, font sizes, and many other things. Here we have mentioned some of the steps from which you can easily imply these styles in your document:
- The first step that you need to take is you have to go in the home section which is on the upper ribbon of Microsoft window.
- After that, you need to go for the styles section and click on the normal style.
- then in the menu section you have to click on the modified option for adding up different styles.
- Just after you click on this there is an option called modify style option where you need to select for the Name text box and have to enter the name for the style.
- Then select the drop-down arrow and select a paragraph from it.
- For getting some special styles you need to select the special option from the drop-down button and also you can set up the distance between the indentations.
- After selection, all these things you need to click on the ok button and the style will get added up in your account.
How to do a hanging indent in different formats
There is a specific format that you need to follow for the different styles of MS word. Here we have discussed the format that you need to imply for the APA format. In APA format there is always a reference list in place of bibliography or works cited page.
So, all the resources from which you took the reference have to be mentioned in the form of a bibliography in the reference list. Some of the things that you need to be considered would not be included in the reference list like any of the personal information of the writer because it seems to be a recoverable data of the writer.
The first and most important rule for APA format is that you need to create the reference list from a new page i.e. you cannot start writing the reference list in the same page after your body or conclusion., For reference, you need to create a separate page and the only reason behind it is that the references of the text would get checked separately and they always need to be on a separate position on the text.
The next thing that you need to consider is that the heading of the page should always be References which means you cannot write them as bibliography as this is not the format of the writing style. Another thing that you need to consider is that the heading of the text would be underlined of bolded; it should be simple and clean.
The second rule for references in APA format is that they all have to be arranged in alphabetical order and the sequence for the references would be author name then a year and then page number. Another thing that you need to mention how to do a hanging indent is that there is no need to press enter in the last of every sentence.
When you add APA formatting in a document then there is no bibliography in it rather it includes the list of references from which the data is collected. APA formatting also includes cited page in it. The resources from which the data is collected and are known as recoverable resources present in the text should be mentioned in the reference list and those references that are present in the reference list should be included in the text to increase the readability of the text.
There should be another page containing all these references and with the heading References present on the top of the page, bolded and should be present in the noodle of the page. If the references page holds on one reference then it should be named reference accordingly. The spacing between the references should be doubled by default but if there are some demands of the program or instructor then you can change it.
The references should be displayed in a specific order like first the name of the author then the title from which it is taken and at last, the year in which it is printed. To separate the link from another one, the user should not press enter at the end of the line.
To get the hanging indent, the person should choose the appropriate path so that they can store the best version of Microsoft Word and that too in the right place so that they can access the options like Paragraph formatting. In this way you can understand how to do a hanging indent and set the indent under by which varies to 0.5 to 1.27 cm.
How To Do A Hanging Indent In Google Docs
While the procedure of how to do a hanging indent in Google docs is quite different from Microsoft and other software because it will have a different approach and different working features.
- In the first step, you need to select the whole text and you can also select multiple paragraphs at the same time.
- Now after you select them the whole text becomes blue and you can stop whenever you want to make it hanging indent.
- then move to the left alignment indent and click on the first line of it.
- Your indent would be added successfully.
Hence adding indents in Google docs seems to be the easiest way because it will take just a few steps to add it to your document. Moreover, this is the only reason why most of the people prefer to use them in place of Microsoft and other software. The other best part about them is that you can even use this application on your mobile phone.
With the final words, we conclude that here we have discussed some of the important information points and details about how to do a hanging indent. Moreover, we have also discussed how to do a hanging indent in your ms word document. We hope that after reading this article you will get all the important aspects and details about the option.
With the help of it, you can create and structure your projects effectively and make it impressive for getting higher marks. In foreign countries, the students must make their project with hanging indents because it will make the process of checking easy for the teachers and they also get a properly formatted file in which everything would be in an organized format. So try it once and use it.
- Is hanging indent important for a document?
Yes it is one of the most important parts for a document as it will give our document a presentable format and even in some of the institutions it is compulsory to understand how to do a hanging indent format so that they will not feel any difficulty while checking it.
- Is adding hanging indent difficult to add?
No this is one of the easiest processes to perform and if you follow the steps that are mentioned above about how to do a hanging indent. Then it will get done in a few minutes. So read the article above and you will get all of your answers.
- Is there any special plugin that we need about how to do a hanging indent?
No there is no special plugin that you need to enter as there is a simple process from which you can follow for adding them in your word document. However, you can take the support of your guidelines that we have mentioned above for help.
- Is there any difference in APA format and any other format?
Yes as these writing styles have different approaches and also have a completely different format of writing so the references of these styles also have different structures and formats.
- From where I can get the option of styles?
In the reference option, you will get the option to choose different styles and you can also add up different reference styles from there. Moreover, you can prefer our article as a guideline.