Before you start any marketing strategy – have you formalized your digital marketing strategy? Many marketing actions fail because the strategic plan has not been clearly defined. If this is your case, we recommend that you first consult our article on how to build a digital marketing plan. Let’s take a look at the different reasons why your digital marketing strategy is probably not working, how to improve it and above all, how to fix it!
You haven’t set the right goals
Let’s start by discussing your goals. Indeed, it is likely that you are not satisfied with the results generated by your marketing actions if you have set the wrong objectives.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Have you set these goals in your area?
- Are your marketing goals aligned with company goals, and business goals?
- Are your goals achievable and achievable in terms of time, budget, and human resources?
Normally you should answer that:
- Your goals have been developed with your management and the sales team.
- Your goals are aligned with company goals and business goals.
- Your goals are well attainable and achievable.
How and why should you set common goals for your digital marketing strategy?
The marketing department is far from being an isolated department which must follow its own objectives. Rather, your goals should correlate and align with the goals of the business , and those of the sales department. If you are not involved around the same goals, you risk getting stuck.
Define sales objectives
Your management must communicate its sales objectives to you. What turnover does the company want to achieve? How many sales does it require? This first step will make it possible to estimate the marketing and sales efforts over the coming months.
Define marketing and sales objectives
On the basis of the previously defined objectives, the marketing department and the sales department must together, with the management, establish their own objectives. For example: generate X customers over the next 6 months, reach X visitors per month on the website within the next 6 months etc.
Set SMART goals
As mentioned above, the goals must be achievable and attainable. Without it, you risk becoming discouraged and losing your way. We advise you to focus on the SMART method, which allows you to define clear and shared objectives that are:
- Temporally defined
You’re addressing the wrong personas
The second reason for the lack of results from your marketing actions? They are probably not aimed at the right personas. For example, if you work on how to get viewers on twitch and the target audience (hypothetical) is 65+, you are definitely with the wrong plan and targeted personas.
To get started, ask yourself the following questions:
- Have you clearly defined your personas?
- How confident are you with your current personas?
- How did you define them?
- Are your personas based on hypotheses or on concrete research?
To give you a quick overview, your personas should be clearly defined through group work with several of your collaborators. They must be established on the basis of concrete research (studies, interviews, surveys, etc.).
Define a good persona for a successful digital marketing strategy
Start by setting up your working group. This should ideally be composed of at least: your management, a member of the sales department, the marketing department and the customer service. In addition to these stakeholders, do not also deprive yourself of going to interview anyone in the company who is in contact with your customers . Information from the field is often the most valuable!
To create a good persona, we recommend that you take the following steps:
Identify the profile of your ideal buyers:
- Establish a proto-persona which will be based on your current knowledge.
- Perform research
- Through market research, reports, social networks and groups on which your personas are found.
- Carry out qualitative and quantitative
- surveys Carry out qualitative and quantitative surveys with your customers, targets identified through interviews and questionnaires in order to collect as much useful information as possible.
Synthesize all the information in order to create your persona files and refer to them to establish your marketing action plan.